2. The Atlanta Braves will finish in third place in the NL East, with a record of 84-78. Vasquez will be better than expected, Lowe will meet expectations almost exactly, Kawakami and Jurrjens will disappoint. Hanson will debut in the summer and show flashes of dominance amid general inconsistency. The Braves, Mets, and Phillies will all beat up on the Nationals and the NL West and Central clubs not based in Chicago and LA.
3. The controversy over Resident Evil 5's racial offensiveness will be overwhelmed by the controversy over its disappointing mediocrity.
4. All the people saying Bobby Jindal sounds like Jack McBrayer will be at a loss whent hey inevitably encounter a third person with a Southern accent.
5. The backlash to the backlash over the Slumdog Millionaire backlash is about to get a backlash.
***In my defense, this was an online only single - no full artwork needed. I just threw this together in 15 minutes so Moshi Moshi would have something to put up at the site. The Hott Chord single art is much better, swear.
¶ posted by Zazz at 4:18 PM
Best part of the Oscars
I couldnt find the Pinapple Express thing...heard that was good too
Bobby Nasts wedding happened in Nashville over the weekend and hipsters were abuzz with rumors that the dudes were going to play the reception. So much so it sounds like the masses ruined the party. This article gives an account of what happened. Sounds like the shitty little club that had booked it as a "private party" got too greedy and let non-wedding folks in and charged money. One dude who was there says all the pavement dudes were on stage at sound check running through old pavement songs, but then you heard rumors that Stairs wasnt even there. It sounds like the place was so small/crowded that some of the wedding attendees couldn't even get in. That just sucks.
¶ posted by Zazz at 11:30 AM
I went down to New York a couple of weeks ago. I saw some good bands play, hung out with Rippy and other friends, but spent most of my time at the New York Comic Con. A lot of video games were demoed at the Con, and I'll be writing about what I played for Creative Loafing over the next few days. The first post is now up, focusing on Sega's upcoming line-up for the Wii; please go take a look, and help earn me and the Loaf a little bit of money.
¶ posted by darkness at 9:34 AM
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
I like this show. EVEN MORE!
Ok I'll admit this dude is a little bit douchy, but I really enjoy this show. Some of the food on here will bring you to your knees, some you can find in your own town, some makes you go to the store and try to make it. Shit is right. Anyways this guy is sometimes hard to take but he's an honest dude who is a fucking character. I think he hosts this show b/c he won some Food Network challenge. Anyways I always kinda take this dude at face value, just some dude who has bad hair, wears bad shirts, is ballsy and loves the fuck outta food. Until tonight.
While in New Mexico cooking up a some fucking KILLER stuffed sopaipillas, Guy was reaching into the deep fryer to puff up the dough when I caught a glimpse of this...... Mutherfuckin JK LIVIN SWEATBAND!
designed by Mark Robinson, who's in Cotton Candy if you're in or around New England in early April, come to this thing
¶ posted by darkness at 3:28 PM
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Things to watch for:
1) Ice selling himself some drugs (and being really pumped up about it)! 2) Bobby gettin frisky with SA's side 3) Rob lookin like he's either a) about to puke or b) is completely uninterested.
¶ posted by Zazz at 11:19 PM
Here are some highlights from the Auzzie Tour they just got back from. I know Bren and Yosh have some too - i'll forward links on as soon as i see em. Most of these are Olsonkroken's - you can see all of his here. The fourth pic down is Sean and Bren (and thrill) on stage singing a song with Spiral Stairs at the Laneway Fest. Also at the bottom is the front cover art for their new Hott Chord single being released in the UK.
¶ posted by Zazz at 10:00 AM
Thanks to Gmail's excellent memory and autopopulation of text, the email I just wrote to a Sega PR contact that was supposed to have the subject line "hey!" wound up being titled "hey mom!" instead. There goes my review copy of Sonic and the Everlengthening Subtitles.
¶ posted by darkness at 12:52 PM
...was on the mutherfucking GRAMMYs tonight. Jesus. Jammin bass and some red ass shoes! 2009 raddest ever award.
¶ posted by Zazz at 12:08 AM
This is too good not to post. Someone put it up at the Ween Forum and I thought I'd forward it on. Its an amazing show. All Westing, S&E, Watery, and early singles. F'n Amazing. Song list, here.
¶ posted by Zazz at 3:48 PM
Damn. I'm going to the New York Comic Con this weekend, which will be awesome, but now not nearly as awesome as it could've been; apparently Grant Morrison's cancelled his appearances. He's one of maybe two or three people alive today that I'd actually want an autograph from. Damn.
Also going to check out at least one and perhaps two of those Nodzzz / Blank Dogs / Woods / Wavves / Gary War shows this weekend. Excited about that. Hopefully the wavves of hype don't make either show a pain to get into or enjoy.
¶ posted by darkness at 8:55 AM
Lotsa cool news coming back from Australia! This is the beach they jammed yesterday on their day off. Fuckin' Surfin! Followin' the ITINERARY. Speaking of which - I'm going to try to upload that so people can download it and riff along if they want. Speaking of which 2 - below is a link to the first ever MULTIMEDIA portion of the Itinerary. Ice and I filmed this last Thursday and emailed it to the band on what was SUPERBOWL MONDAY for them. They had to mimic the vid to make it through the day!
1. Sic Alps, "Massive Place" 2. Blank Dogs, "Blaring Speeches" 3. Kurt Vile, "Freeway" 4. Endless Boogie, "The Manly Vibe" 5. Love Is All, "New Beginnings" 6. Krysmopompas, "Cola ohne Koka - Du Schwein" 7. Times New Viking, "Drop Out" 8. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, "Cold Son" 9. Zola Jesus, "Soeur Sewer" 10. No Age, "Sleeper Hold"
¶ posted by darkness at 11:12 AM
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Mez be turnin 5 (PT. 2)
Elliott's mix was hard to step to bat against. Fine work dude. Now i know why his mix was so long - its hard to cut this shit down. I started off with 50 songs i wanted on here. Anyways - download this shiz! ENJOY! And thanks so much for reading!
1. Captain Beyond - Do Or Die 2. Oneida - Did I Die 3. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Go Easy 4. Empire Of The Sun - Half Mast (hands down my favorite record from last year) 5. MGMT - Weekend Wars 6. Uriah Heep - The Wizard (WOAH!) 7. Ween - I'll Wait (Mollusk Outtake) 8. Black Mountain - Shelter (from the Sub Pop Singles Club 7") 9. Dr. Dog - The Rabbit, The Bat & The Reindeer 10. Nada Surf - See These Bones 11. The Aliens - Billy Jack (These are the beta band dudes) 12. Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer (this band is fucking incredible) 13. The Dukes - Fate 14. Dr. Dooom - The God Of Rap 15. Turbonegro - Wasted Again 16. Keane - You Haven't Told Me Anything 17. Guided By Voices - Pendulum 18. the Ladybug Transistor - In-Between 19. Carley Simon - Why 20. Night Moves Gold - Get Inside The Car 21. Gringo Star - All Ya'll 22. Gang Gang Dance - House Jam 23. Mark Kozelek - Duk Koo Kim (10" version) 24. The Sea And Cake - Window Sills 25. The Secret Machines - Alone, Jealous And Stoned (from their mega-underrated second album) 26. Wilco - One True Vine (amazing sky blue sky bside) 27. Michael McDonald - Love T.K.O. 28. The Moondoggies - Ain't No Lord 29. Paul McCartney - Oh Woman, Oh Why (RAM outtake) 30. Royal Trux - Money For Nothing (Dire Straits Cover) 31. Wizzard - Meet Me At The Jailhouse