So I interviewed Scott Weiland today...this dude is the weirdest mofo I've ever talked to. I don't really understand why a simple question like "Did you get to play cards with Steve Albini?" turned into a two and a half minute ramble about whatever the fuck, but it did. I know I'm not the greatest interviewer in the world and probably sound kinda retarded on the air sometimes, but jesus man this guy has done so many drugs over the years that I really had no idea what he was talking about half the time. I think he may literally be retarded. Check out the interview here
Okay, Monday night, Veterans' Day Eve, me and some folks headed down to the Paradise in Allston to see what some wags were calling "internet music: the tour", otherwise known as the Deerhunter / Times New Viking / Vivian Girls show. I have a few thoughts, I do.
1. the Paradise (which is roughly equivalent to the old Cotton Club in Atlanta) ain't the best place to see bands like this, sonically, but it's absolutely the best venue for getting out early. Halfway through Deerhunter's headlining set I checked my watch (okay phone) and it was only 10:30. Awesome.
2. Vivian Girls were fun, the music sounded great, but the vocals didn't have enough reverb, and I can't tell if the awkwardness / naivetie is genuine or part of some gimmick.
3. Times New Viking is the best pure pop band going today. They just don't necessarily want you to realize that. They had Matt from Psychedelic Horseshit working sound, which was good, as apparently TNV sounded like shit when they played the Paradise with Super Furry Animals back in February.
4. First time seeing Deerhunter, and they were pretty good. The only band that didn't feel out-of-place playing such a big room; indeed, they felt a little too big for the Paradise. Sounded great, although they drifted a little too far into the ethereal / ambient realm. I was looking forward to three songs specifically, they played them all within forty minutes, and then we headed out to the front bar before going home.
All in all, a great show on a great night. Went home, played some games, stayed up 'til three, woke up late, wrote a review, made some music, played some more games - thanks, vets!
¶ posted by darkness at 1:05 PM
the worst songs by bands we love
I'm gonna do this on the radio some time next month. Help me out by voting for the worst songs by these folks:
The Fall Pavement Wire Guided By Voices Yo La Tengo The Clean Archers of Loaf (SO many potential answers on this one...) Stereolab Polvo Slint (correct answer: ALL OF THEM)
1. I met Peter Wolf of the J. Geils Band at a cellphone store last night. He was cool.
2. My review of LittleBigPlanetis in this week's Weekly Dig, it's just not on-line for some reason.
3. Last week was the busiest I've had in years, but also completely awesome. On top of dealing with car insurance junk (I was in a wreck a couple of weeks ago), I also had to prepare for this ridiculous fashion show thing I DJ'ed. Over a thousand people were there, including "celebrity judge" Christian Soriano. It was nerve-wracking, but went off pretty well, I think. And then Saturday I drove down to New York to play at Brahloween IV with Nurse & Soldier. Awesome night. Unfortunately two-fifths of N&S had to fly to Arkansas for a family emergency, but the three of us excelled with no problems. Other bands (Pterodactyl, Dirty Faces, Awesome Color, Oneida, and Knyfe Hyts) were all rad, especially 'dactyl.
4. I like numbering things.
5. constant things (or links to things) over at Hot Fighting History, if you're into games. and a new post should be up at Shazhmmm any minute now.
6. speaking of comics, Final Crisis remains amazing, but not something I'd ever recommend to anybody not well-versed in the history of DC, and particularly Jack Kirby's Fourth World. If you're into superhero stuff and haven't read that Fourth World stuff, you should immediately go grab them big old Omnibi DC put out this year.
7. and games-wise, beyond what I've written elsewhere, lemme just say that Fallout 3 is legitimately depressing, and that Gears of War 2 is one of the best big, dumb, and loud action games I've ever played. Full reviews later on.
¶ posted by darkness at 11:11 AM
Someone in my office just came to tell me their sister seriously thinks we should all stay indoors tonight to be safe from all the "black riots" that are going to be happening everywhere across america. WOW!
¶ posted by Zazz at 11:40 AM